Struggling with an excessively heavy or long period every month? We know it’s not fun — especially here in Florida where we get to spend several months out of the year enjoying the sun, surf, and sand! For starters, know that you’re not alone, but more importantly, heavy periods aren’t something you just have to live with; there is hope and treatment.
Heavy bleeding during your period, known as menorrhagia, is actually a fairly common problem that affects more than 10 million American women each year — that means one out of every five women has it. While some suffer from a heavier menstrual cycle over a long period of time (pun not intended!), others begin to experience it throughout their 30s and 40s as they approach menopause. Women typically lose an average of 30 to 40 milliliters of blood during their period, but with an abnormally heavy menstrual cycle, they can potentially lose up to 80 mL, which can cause severe cramps, iron deficiency, and anemia, leading some to feel tired and weak. Over time, it can take a physical, social, and emotional toll on your well-being — after all, who wants to swap out their feminine hygiene products every hour, on the hour? Rest assured that heavy bleeding is not something you merely have to accept and deal with until menopause hits.
The NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure is a simple, safe treatment that gently removes the lining of the uterus, which is actually what causes the bleeding during your menstrual cycle. And the benefits are virtually endless!
- NovaSure can be performed in under five minutes and takes place in your doctor’s office or an outpatient setting with no general anesthesia, making it much more affordable than a hysterectomy.
- There’s no specific timing needed — it can be performed at any time during your menstrual cycle, even if you’re on your period.
- There are no incisions and no scarring!
- Most women experience mild or no pain during and after the procedure.
- There is very little recovery time needed — most feel back to normal within 24 hours or so.
- Most women (approx. 91%) who undergo NovaSure return to normal or light periods, while almost half (41%) reported that their periods stopped completely.
- The best part is that you don’t have to deal with the unwanted side effects of hormone replacement therapy or need to undergo a full surgical hysterectomy.
Note that NovaSure significantly reduces your chance of getting pregnant and is not recommended for women who wish to conceive in the future.
The vast majority of women who have the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure also noted a significant decrease in painful periods, in addition to fewer PMS symptoms such as irritability, mood swings, and sadness. They are then able to spend more time at work or with family, participate in their favorite hobbies and activities, and benefit from improved energy levels and a better overall mood. Speak with your doctor if you think that NovaSure may be the right fit for you.
Contact Beaches OBGYN at (904) 241-9775 for more information or to schedule an appointment.