Janet Gersten, MD, FACOG
Dr. Janet Gersten
Dr. Janet Gersten was born in Brookline, Massachusetts and earned her undergraduate degree at Brandeis University, graduating with honors. She attended medical school at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and completed her internship and residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami.
Following her residency training in 1983, Dr. Gersten started her private practice as one of the first female OB/GYNs in south Miami.
In 2000, Dr. Gersten combined her passions for patient care and the advancement of women’s health when she founded New Age Medical Research Corporation, a private clinical research study site. Since its inception, New Age has completed more than 80 major clinical trials and has generated numerous publications, mainly focused on women’s health.
- Diplomate, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (FACOG)
- Janet Gersten, MD; Jennifer Hsieh, MS; Herman Weiss, MD; Nancy A. Ricciotti, MSN. “Impact of Extended 30 mcg EE with Continuous Low-Dose EE and Cyclic 20 mcg EE Oral Contraception on Adolescent Bone Density: A Randomized Trial.” Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Volume 29, Issue 6, December 2016, Pages 635–642.
- Herman Weiss, MD; Janet Gersten, MD; Jennifer Hsieh, MS; Nancy Ricciotti, MSN. “Comparative Effects of a 91-Day or a 28-Day Combined Oral Contraceptive on Adolescent Bone Mineral Density.” Poster presentation at 16th World Congress on Human Reproduction, Berlin, Germany on March 18, 2015.
- Barbara Cromer, MD; Janet Gersten, MD; Jennifer Hsieh, MS; Herman Weiss, MD; Nancy Ricciotti, MSN. “Comparative Effects of a 91-Day or a 28-Day Combined Oral Contraceptive on Bone Mineral Density in Adolescents.” Poster presentation at European Congress of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Glasgow, Scotland, May 7-10, 2014.
- Janet Gersten, MD; Herman Weiss, MD; Nancy Ricciotti, MSN; Jennifer Hsieh, MS; Brandon Howard, PhD. “Bleeding Profile of a Novel Ascending-Dose, Extended-Regimen Ethinyl Estradiol/Levonorgestrel Combination Oral Contraceptive Based on Weight, Body Mass Index, Age, Smoking Status, and Race.” Poster presentation at the 69th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts October 16, 2013.
- Andrea Lukes, MD, Ellen W Freeman, PhD; Jeffrey Baker, MD ; Janet Gersten, MD; Tammie L Adomako, MD. “Tranexamic Acid Reduces Impact of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding on Work Outside or Inside of the Home.” Poster Presentation at 61st Annual Clinical Meeting (ACM) of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists held in New Orleans, Louisiana, May 4-8, 2013.
- Bruce Carr, MD, Janet Gersten, MD; Brandon Howard, PhD ; Herman Weiss, MD. “Bleeding Patterns With Three Ascending-Dose, Extended-Cycle Oral Contraceptives (OCs) vs Seasonale®.” Poster Presentation at 61st Annual Clinical Meeting (ACM) of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists held in New Orleans, Louisiana, May 4-8, 2013.
- Muse K, Mabey RG, Waldbaum A, Gersten JK, Adomako TL. “Tranexamic Acid increases hemoglobin and ferritin levels in women with heavy menstrual bleeding.” Journal of Women’s Health. Jul 2012;21(7):756-761.
- Ken Muse, Andrea S Lukes, Janet Gersten, Arthur Waldbaum, R Garn Mabey & Edward Trott. “Long-term Evaluation of Safety and Health-related Quality of Life in Women with Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Treated with Oral Tranexamic Acid.” Women’s Health, November 2011, Vol 7, Number 6, p.699-707.
- Freeman, E.W., Lukes, A., VanDrie, D., Mabey, R.G., Gersten, J., Adomako, T.L., “A dose-response study of a novel, oral tranexamic formulation for heavy menstrual bleeding.” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Oct 2011;205(4):319 e311-317.
- K. Muse, J. Gersten, A. Waldbaum, R.G. Mabey, A. Lukes, K. Moore. “Novel, oral tranexamic acid improves the general quality of life (SF-36v2™ health survey measures) in women with menorrhagia.” Fertility and Sterility (2010) Vol 94, Issue 4, Supplement. Page S208-209.
- K. Muse, J. Gersten, A. Waldbaum, R.G. Mabey, A. Lukes, K. Moore. “Long-term quality of life and safety of a new tranexamic acid menorrhagia treatment.” Fertility and Sterility (2010) Vol 94, Issue 4, Supplement. Page S13.
- Lukes, Andrea S. MD, MHSc; Moore, Keith A. PharmD; Muse, Ken N. MD; Gersten, Janet K. MD; Hecht, Bryan R. MD; Edlund, Måns MD, PhD; Richter, Holly E. PhD, MD; Eder, Scott E. MD; Attia, George R. MD, MBA; Patrick, Donald L. PhD, MSPH; Rubin, Arkady PhD; Shangold, Gary A. MD. “Tranexamic Acid Treatment for Heavy Menstrual Bleeding: A Randomized Controlled Trial.” Obstetrics & Gynecology 2010: 116 : 865.
- Lukes A, Gersten J, Moore K, Shangold G, Patrick D. “Effects of oral XP12B-MR on health-related quality of life in women with heavy menstrual bleeding.” Oral presentation at American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Congress. San Francisco, CA: 2010 May 15-19.
- Lukes A, Gersten J, Mabey R, Kroll R, Moore K, Patrick D. “Quantifying a meaningful reduction in menstrual blood loss for women with heavy menstrual bleeding.” Oral presentation at American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Congress. San Francisco, CA: 2000 May 15-19.
- Andrea Lukes, MD, Ken Muse, MD, Janet Gersten, MD., Arthur Waldbaum, MD., R. Garn Mabey, MD., Keith Moore, PhD., Gary Shangold, MD., “XP12B-MR improves the quality of life (SF®-36 health survey measures) of women with heavy menstrual bleeding.” Poster presented at Annual Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health Premier Conference. Providence, RI: 2009 Oct 14-17.
- Andrea Lukes, MD, MHSc; Ken Muse, MD; Janet Gersten, MD; Arthur Waldbaum, MD; R. Garn Mabey, MD. “XP12B-MR Improves Ferritin and Hemoglobin Values in Women With Heavy Menstrual Bleeding.” Poster presented at The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Annual Clinical Meeting; May 2009; San Diego, CA.
- Andrea Lukes, MD, Ken Muse, MD, Janet Gersten, MD, Arthur Waldbaum, MD, R Garn Mabey, MD, “Laboratory Findings in a Large Prospective Cohort of 1847 Females with Heavy Menstrual Bleeding.” Poster presented at The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Annual Clinical Meeting; May 2008; New Orleans, LA.
- Larry S. Seidman, Janet Gersten, Alan Fisher, Katherine D. LaGuardia “Extended Regimen Use of a Triphasic Oral Contraceptive: A Pilot Study.” Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2006:107:51S.
- Gersten, J.K. “Nonsurgical Breast Enlargement: A New Role for the Gynecologist.” OB/GYN Special Edition: Special Report. 4:2001,18a-d.
Baptist Hospital of Miami
Education & Training
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami, Miami, Florida, 1979-1983
- Medical Degree: Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, 1975-1979
- Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor of Arts (Cum Laude), Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, 1971-1975
After 31 years of annual visits and the delivery of my daughters, I can say with all sincerity and honesty that Janet Gersten is an excellent doctor. She is knowledgeable, honest, reliable, caring and most importantly, she listens. Her staff is very good and the office is pleasant and clean. If you want a wonderful doctor, Janet Gersten will not let you down!.
I have been to many gynecologists over a number of years. It was such a welcome surprise to be met by an attentive and most professional physician and her staff. In an era where much of the doctor’s time has become occupied by a computer screen, I never once felt like I was in competition and vying for her attention. My complex gynecological issues were handled expeditiously and treated appropriately. Most importantly, Dr. Gersten took the time to answer my questions and discuss healthy options
The office is very professional and everyone that works there is nice and polite. They are very timely, I’ve never had a long wait. The doctors are all wonderful, they take their time and ask questions and answer yours never making you feel rushed. I personally see Dr. Bedell, but they all wonderful doctors. I saw their mom for about 15 years before her daughters took over seeing patients. If you are a woman that prefers seeing a woman doctor. I highly recommend this group of amazing doctors!