Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) is a system that allows you to check your glucose readings in real-time and see trends over a period of time. The CGM system automatically receives glucose readings every five minutes, which reduces the need to check your glucose levels with test strips and pins throughout the day.
While a blood glucose meter only gives you a brief reading of your glucose level at a single moment, a CGM system shows your glucose levels over time. It provides valuable information at crucial moments throughout the day, such as before and during your exercise routine, before you drive, before you need to take a test, or in the middle of the night. Other benefits of a CGM system include:
- Providing insights that can help lower A1C by up to 1% compared to the traditional way of testing glucose levels using test strips and pins.
- Indicating which direction your glucose levels trend on a daily basis.
- Providing early notification glucose levels that are beginning to get low or high.
- Indicating the total time period spent with glucose levels being high, low, or within a healthy glucose range of 70-180 mg/dL.
- Providing insights into how food, physical activity, and medication are impacting your diabetes.