Adolescent gynecology offers all the treatments and care of regular gynecology but especially catered to teens and adolescents. Establishing a trusting environment where young woman feel confident discussing their concerns and establishing confidentiality is a key component.
Establishing good healthy habits at a young age and empowering young women ensures that each patient has the knowledge to take control of her health now and in the future.
Most of our pediatric patients come from pediatricians from the community who need guidance with a particular problem. However, we do take new pediatric patients at any age per request. A pediatric patient is anyone under the age of 13.
What happens in an adolescent gynecological exam?
- Basic history and vitals are taken. We discuss any concerns the teen and/or parent may have. We welcome parents to be present for the discussion but do recommend some privacy as well so that the teen can feel comfortable asking questions.
- Clinical breast exam may or may not be done depending on teens age and concerns.
- A pelvic exam is rarely performed unless there is an indication for it or concern. The exam focuses on the external genitalia. An invasive exam is rarely performed and would always be done in the presence of the parent.
- Lifestyle modifications, nutrition advise, and exercise reinforcement is given. We focus on healthy body image.
- Education about HPV vaccine and Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
A select team of experts from our clinic offers all kinds of gynecology exams from annual checkups to Papanicolaou tests. We also provide minimally invasive surgery, as well as help with choosing the right contraceptive method.
Some of the most typical visits to a gynecologist for adolescents include the following:
“Always the best care! Every doctor, nurse, employee, etc., makes us feel welcome and safe. We are grateful we found this practice.”
“During Covid-19 pandemic, going to any medical facility is a daunting task, everyone at FemCare made it much less so. Office was super vigilant in making sure all protocols were followed. Also, the Dr. and nurse took their time to listen to me FINALLY. After having visited my fair share of doctors offices, i finally felt like i was being listened to and my concerns were being addressed. Thank you! :)”
“The service is always friendly and professional, making the visit as comfortable and enjoyable as it can possibly be.”