Adolescent gynecology offers all the treatments and care of regular gynecology but especially catered to teens and adolescents. Establishing a trusting environment where young woman feel confident discussing their concerns and establishing confidentiality is a key component.
Establishing good healthy habits at a young age and empowering young women ensures that each patient has the knowledge to take control of her health now and in the future.
Most of our pediatric patients come from pediatricians from the community who need guidance with a particular problem. However, we do take new pediatric patients at any age per request. A pediatric patient is anyone under the age of 13.
What happens in an adolescent gynecological exam?
- Basic history and vitals are taken. We discuss any concerns the teen and/or parent may have. We welcome parents to be present for the discussion but do recommend some privacy as well so that the teen can feel comfortable asking questions.
- Clinical breast exam may or may not be done depending on teens age and concerns.
- A pelvic exam is rarely performed unless there is an indication for it or concern. The exam focuses on the external genitalia. An invasive exam is rarely performed and would always be done in the presence of the parent.
- Lifestyle modifications, nutrition advise, and exercise reinforcement is given. We focus on healthy body image.
- Education about HPV vaccine and Sexually Transmitted Diseases.