Pelvic Organ Prolapse
Get your life back!
Pelvic Organ Prolapse
Pelvic organ prolapse happens when the muscles and tissues supporting the pelvic organs (the uterus, bladder, or rectum) become weak or loose. This allows the pelvic organs to drop or press into or out of the vagina. Many women are embarrassed to talk to their doctor about these symptoms or think they are normal, but pelvic organ prolapse is treatable.
The most common types of pelvic organ prolapse include:
Symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse include:
Seeing or feeling a bulge or “something coming out” of the vagina
- A feeling of pressure, discomfort, aching, or fullness in the pelvis
- Pelvic pressure that gets worse with coughing or as the day goes on
- Difficulty urinating or having a bowel movement
- Uncomfortable pressure during physical activity or sex
Treatment of Pelvic Organ Prolapse:
Treatment for pelvic organ prolapse depends on the type of prolapse you have, your symptoms, your age, other health problems, and whether you are sexually active. Treatment may include one or more of the following:
- Pessary: A pessary is a removable device inserted into the vagina to support the pelvic organs. Certain types of pessaries can treat both pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence.
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation: Pelvic floor exercises strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. These exercises can help women who have pelvic organ prolapse or urinary incontinence.
- Surgery: Surgery is an option for the correction of prolapse. This may or may not involve a hysterectomy. Surgery for prolapse can be done with or without mesh through the vagina or with a robot.
Great experience as a first timer. I barely waited to be helped when I checked in. The staff and Dr. Sujata Yavagal were all very friendly and helpful. I especially loved how Dr. Sujata Yavagal really took her time to explain my conditions with me as well as my treatment options. I had a great visit.
María Juliana V.
I was a new patient and felt that I had been there always. All the staff were friendly and attentive to my needs. Dr. Yavagal was very thorough in explaining my options for treatment and extremely professional in her approach towards my health situation.
My experience is always great at Dr. Yavagal’s office. I trust her knowledge and expertise 100% and would never consider changing doctors. Her staff is very nice and courteous, always catering to my well being and comfort. I highly recommend her.