Labor and Delivery Care
in Miami, Florida
We deliver babies at the main Baptist Hospital on Kendall Drive in Miami. Prior to delivery, please pre-register at the hospital website: Baptisthealth.net → Type “maternity” in the search bar. The first link is the Maternity Preregistration Form.
When to come to the hospital:
- Regular contractions which are becoming closer together and stronger. For the first baby, try to wait at home until the contractions are strong and are at least 4-5 minutes apart.
- If you think your water broke. Sometimes it is a big gush, and other times it is less obvious.
- If you have moderate vaginal bleeding. Some bleeding may be normal after an exam in the office.
- You are concerned the baby is not moving as often as normal.
- Our primary goal is for you to have a safe, healthy and successful pregnancy and delivery. We always strive toward vaginal deliveries when possible, and our physicians all perform cesarean deliveries or vacuum-assisted vaginal deliveries when appropriate.
How to manage pain during labor:
- Concentrate on breathing techniques for relaxation
- Have a support person rub your back or your feet. A tennis ball can be useful for massage.
- A support person may be your partner, other family member, or a close friend. We are also happy to work with many doulas in the area and can give you a recommendation if desired. A doula is here to offer physical and emotional support during childbirth.
- Change positions often. Dancing or walking can be helpful during labor. You can bring an inflatable birthing ball to the hospital.
- There are 2 labor rooms at Baptist Hospital which have tubs, where you can labor in water if desired and safe for your pregnancy. Please discuss with us if you are interested in this option.
- Epidural anesthesia is another option to manage pain. With this options, you will be numb from the waist down. Once placed, the effect will last until delivery.
- Remember, each labor is unique and unpredictable. If you plan to deliver without an epidural, do your best to prepare ahead of time. Though you will never be pressured to accept medication for pain relief, know that you reserve the right to change your mind at any time.
Vaginal deliveries, Cesarean sections, and Vaginal Births After Cesareans (VBACs)
- The majority of full-term pregnancies result in a vaginal delivery. The best thing you can do to increase your likelihood of a vaginal delivery is Exercise throughout pregnancy. This will promote healthy weight gain and improve overall fitness
- A Cesarean section is often indicated and can be scheduled ahead of time. However many times an indication for Cesarean delivery is determined during the labor process.
- A TOLAC is a Trial of Labor After Cesarean and a VBAC is a successful Vaginal Birth After Cesarean. Please discuss with us to see if you are a candidate for a TOLAC.
“Incredible bedside manners! Dr. Saldana was extremely helpful and understanding with all of my concerns. Not only did she concern herself with what I was at her office for, but also recommended other very helpful guides for my other issues. Rest assured I’m in good professional hands with a wonderful human being. The office personnel was also very delightful.”
“Dr. Saldana has an excellent personable demeanor which made me feel very comfortable and at ease. I have been searching for a female gynecologist of her caliber and thank goodness I finally met her today.”
“First time visiting this office and it was very good. Everyone was very kind and helpful. The place was very clean and nice. Doctor Alejandra Ángel took the time to listen to everything I had to say. She answered all my questions and was very professional. The overall experience was excellent. I definitely made the right choice by coming to this new office/doctor.”
“I truly enjoyed my experience with Dr. Angel. She’s a good listener and took the time to ask me questions about how I was feeling. The office staff is attentive and the place is immaculate. I highly recommend Dr. Angel!”
“I had a really great first experience with Dr. Saldana! She is very personal and helps you feel comfortable in what can be an awkward situation. The atmosphere is so inviting and almost feels like you are at the spa. Would highly recommend for those reasons alone”
“This review is for Dr. Alejandra Angel. She is an amazing doctor. She took good care of me during my pregnancy, was very patient, I never felt rushed during my appointments, she always listened and explained very well any questions that I had. She made my first delivery experience a nice one. I would definitely recommend her to anyone who would like to have a nice and smooth experience. If you are looking for a doctor who genuinely cares about you and your baby, you should look no further. She is the one to go. I really like her and her attitude. She is a great doctor.”