Infertility, in simple terms, is the inability to get pregnant even when having unprotected intercourse over long periods of time. While there may be various temporary issue that may cause infertility, a decrease in the ability to conceive as we age is normal. There is a negative correlation between age and egg production. What does that mean? Your probability of conception decreases by 3 to 5% annually after age of 30 years.
There are various factors which lead to female infertility:
- Fallopian tube injury
- Hormonal causes
- Cervical causes
- Uterine causes
- Some unexplained reasons of infertility
There are several tests that need to be performed to determine whether you are indeed infertile:
- Blood test in order to check the hormone levels
- Checking the lining of the uterus known (endometrial biopsy)
- Diagnostic test to check scar tissue and tubal obstruction such as hysterosalpingography and laparoscopy.
- Ultrasound or X-ray of the reproductive organ also known as Hysterosalpingography (HSG)
There are several ways to treat infertility:
- Laparoscopy in which woman undergoes surgery in order to re-construct the reproductive organs or IVF and diagnosed with tubal or pelvic disease.
- Hysteroscopy in which it is placed in uterus through cervix in order to remove fibroid tumors and plyps, scar tissue and opening of blocked tubes.
- Women can go under medical therapy such as clompiphene cirate, gonadotropins etc. These drugs are helpful in multiplying the eggs during the cycle.
- There is one procedure known as intrauterine insemination which helps in reducing the infertility in women.
- IVF also know as In vitro Fertilization. In this process eggs are fertilized in a culture dish and placed under uterus.
- Intracytoplasmic (ICSI) in which sperms are injected when there is sperm related infertility.
- Donation of eggs.
If you believe you may be having a sustained issue getting pregnant, contact us for a consultation for an infertility diagnosis and testing near Kelseyville. We will help you understand the issues that may be causing this, and get you some help with South Lake Obgyn.