Staying active is essential, whether you are young or elderly. By starting healthy habits at an early age, your child can experience the benefits of exercise and see the benefits of playing of sports firsthand. One of the best ways to get children more interested in improving their physical health is with engaging and exciting sporting events like the Super Bowl.
What Are the Benefits of Exercise?
Everyone knows that exercise is essential, but many people do not fully understand the benefits of exercise beyond improving physical health. Some of the short-term and long-term benefits of exercising regularly include:
- Improved thinking and cognitive ability, especially in children between the ages of 6 and 13
- Reduced feelings of stress and anxiety
- Better ability to regulate weight
- Lowered risk of stroke, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes
- Decreased chances of developing certain cancers, including breast, colon, kidney, and lung cancers
- Better muscle condition to avoid bone and joint damage in the future
- Increased fall prevention ability
- Longer lifespan
- Improved ability to manage chronic conditions after diagnosis, including conditions like arthritis and type 2 diabetes
What Is the Importance of Sport?
Sports are something that people can celebrate together and have fun. However, sports are also a way to stay physically fit, avoid disease and illness, and improve the quality of life. The importance of sports is inextricably intertwined with the benefits of sports in child development. What are some of the reasons why playing sports alone or with a group is so good for people of any age?
- Participation in team sports lowers the risk of developing obesity, which is a severe problem in both children and adults.
- Being part of a team, can improve your overall health.
- Registering for team sports can improve self-confidence and self-image, which is one of the most significant benefits of sports in child development.
- Playing team sports can improve academic performance, as many athletes need to maintain elevated GPAs.
How Can Super Bowl 2023 Start Improving Physical Health at Your House?
To experience the benefits of sports in child development and start improving physical health throughout your household, you need a way to get everyone excited about exercise. Events like Super Bowl 2023 showcase the importance of sports on a large scale as you get to witness skilled athletes in peak condition perform on a national stage.
The Super Bowl is Sunday, February 12, 2023. This year, Super Bowl 2023 live coverage starts at 6:30 PM EST on FOX. The event will be held at State Farm Stadium in Arizona, and those watching in the stadium and at home will get to enjoy live music from Rihanna during halftime. Throughout the four quarters of football, you and your family can see the excitement of sports firsthand as you cheer and enjoy the event.
How Can You Start Improving Your Health with Sports?
The benefits of exercise and benefits of sports in child development have been well established, so how can you start building good habits in your household? There are many ways to teach everyone the importance of sport and fitness, including:
- Schedule a slot every week or every day for your family to play a sport or exercise together.
- If you have young children, exercise could include fun playground games like tag, jump rope, hula hooping, and dancing.
- Your furry friends can also get involved in your physical fitness goals, as taking the whole family for a walk with Fido is easy.
- Practice good everyday healthy habits, like taking the steps instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Enroll your children in team sports activities that allow them to make new friends and experience the benefits of being on a team
- Start celebrating family milestones and birthdays with physical activities, like going for a hike or bowling, instead of just cake.
How to Avoid Exercise Injuries
If you are starting to play sports or exercise as a family, you are at an increased risk of developing an injury that might derail your fitness goals. However, there are numerous easy ways that you can prepare to avoid serious injury during your workout. Some of the best ways to avoid exercise injuries include:
- Properly warm up at the start of your activity. Depending on what you are doing, your warmup period could include a five-minute walk or other light exercises.
- Cool down at the end of your workout or team sport to allow your heart rate to slowly return to normal. Your cool-down period can also last about five minutes.
- Instead of stretching muscles that have not been activated yet, you should try stretching at the end of your warmup period. When stretching, never force anything that does not feel good. Do not hold stretches for longer than 30 seconds unless you are doing so under the guidance of a physical therapist.
- Focus on low-impact exercise as you start to improve your physical fitness. Your healthcare provider can provide you with tips on how to get moving without getting hurt. Some of the best low-impact exercises you can start with your kids include biking, walking, and swimming. As you build strength and improve your fitness, activities like aerobics and running can be incorporated into your routine.
- Ensure that you and your children wear appropriate safety equipment when exercising or playing sports. This includes choosing the proper footwear and things like helmets and mouth guards. If your children are playing sports on a team and coming into contact with other players, you should ensure that their helmets, mouth guard, shin guards, and kneepads are all fit for them.
Get Moving and Get Healthy with TopLine MD
Whether you are interested in learning more about different types of low-impact exercise or are concerned that you might have an injury from your training regimen, your family doctor is always here to help. TopLine MD Alliance affiliated physicians can provide the compassionate care you need.
If you are ready to schedule your appointment with your child’s pediatrician or your family doctor, click the free ‘Find a Provider’ button above. This tool lets you sort and filter to find a healthcare provider near you that can assist with your needs. All TopLine MD Alliance affiliated physicians and specialists are dedicated to helping patients like you feel great and build healthy habits. Get started today with a single click above.
The TopLine MD Alliance is an association of independent physicians and medical practice groups who are committed to providing a higher standard of healthcare services. The members of the TopLine MD Alliance have no legal or financial relationship with one another. The TopLine MD Alliance brand has no formal corporate, financial or legal ties to any of the affiliated physicians or practice groups.